Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup

On the days that I'm in the office, I have an obsession with usually lunch on soup from a local shop.  I lurve a good soup, especially in the winter.  This past weekend was super cold - perfect for simmering a pot of deliciousness on the stove.  I had all the ingredients to whip up a pot of Red Pepper & Tomato Soup (with Gouda and Parmesan) and decided to do just that.  This is a great 'whatever kind you have onhand' type of soup - in fact this is the first time I actually wrote the 'recipe' down.  I usually just start with a pepper or two and some canned tomatoes and throw in whatever I feel like as the pot simmers.  For this one, I used fire roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers with garlic and both Gouda and Parmesan cheeses because that's what was in my pantry. 



Fire Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup

2 tablespoons butter
2 12 oz jars of Roasted Red Peppers (I used in oil with garlic), chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 oz smoked gouda, shredded
2 oz Parmesan, shredded

1 - Heat butter in large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat
2 - Add onions and cook 5 minutes
3 - Add roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes (including juice) & garlic

this is the chopped roasted red peppers

and here's what the fire roasted tomato can looks like

4 - Continue cooking over medium heat for another 10-15 minutes until onions are tender, stirring occasionally


5 - Add chicken broth and stir well
6 - Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes
7 - Transfer soup to a blender (in batches) and blend - pulse for a rough texture or puree for a smooth soup
8 - Return to pot and increase heat to medium
9 - Add half and half, pepper, salt, gouda and Parmesan and stir well to combine

soooo gooouda
sorry...I couldn't resist

10 - Simmer another 10-20 minutes to allow cheeses to melt and flavors to combine
11 - Serve with a dollup of sour cream (I prefer to top with a dollop of sour cream blended with ranch seasoning - it adds another fantastic layer of flavor)


A few notes:
  •  The tomato flavor is very prevalent - if you prefer to taste a bit more of the red peppers, sub out some of the tomatoes for more peppers
  • If you are using fresh bell peppers, dice them and add to the pot with the onions to allow plenty of time for softening

I participate in the following link parties: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, The Girl Creative, Making the World Cuter, Miss Crafty Pants, Super Stinky Boys, Mad In Crafts, Embellishing Life Everyday, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home Project, Chocolate Drool & Kisses, Simply Cadence, Polly Wanna Crafter, Sew Can Do, Tip Junkie, My Frugal Family, Coastal Charm, New Nostagalia, Blessed with Grace, The Creative Itch, Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Home Stories A to ZThe Lettered Cottage, A Bowl Full of Lemons, At Home with K, All Thingz Related, Today's Creative Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Sew Much Ado, Blue Cricket Design, My Backyard Eden, Gluesticks, Extreme Personal Measures, The Thrifty Home, The Trendy Treehouse, Someday Crafts, All Things Heart and Home, Elements Interiors, My Girlish Whims, DIY by Design, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Seven Thirty Three, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Beyond the Picket Fence, Black Kat Design, Thrifty 101, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Finding Fabulous, Poppies at Play, The Inspired Room, KoJo Designs, Whipperberry, Inspiring CreationsRomantic Home, The Speckled Dog, At the Picket Fence, Little Brick Ranch, Designer Garden, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Be Different Act Normal, Saturday Morning Blog, It's a Crafty Life, I Heart Naptime, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Jewish Mom, Flamingo Toes, The DIY Showoff, Marvelously Messy, Nifty Thrifty Things, Thrifty Decor Chick, The Cottage Chick, Running with Glitter, One Artsy Mama, Dittle Dattle, Southern Lovely, Naptime Creations, Ladybird Ln, Sew Many Ways,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a good tomato soup.....could you please share this recipe @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet Party..
starts tonight @6.....Have a great weekend!

Karin said...

Sounds delish!

Pam said...

Sounds GREAT....I think I will have to give this a try.
http://pam-lifethroughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

Jenn said...

I love anything with roasted red peppers! I would love to dip a grilled ham and cheese sandwich in this soup! I have a great cookbook giveaway going on right now if you would like to enter? http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2012/01/rush-hour-recipes-review-and-cookbook.html

Jennifer McLean said...

Oh, yummmmmy! I've already pilfered this recipe right off your blog! Hehehe. I can't wait to make it, I absolutely covet soup in the winter, it makes you warm and nostalgic.
Best, Jenn from www.justaddwatersilly.com, hopping from anti-procrastination Tuesday
(newest happy follower!)

Amber said...

Sounds delicious! MMMM...gouda.

4Sisters said...

Oh my word - this sounds just perfect!

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love all of the ingredients in this soup, and I love soup. Sounds amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails