Thursday, September 30, 2010

Button Button, Who Framed the Button!

Happy Thursday!!  Well finally I have another craft to share :)  I wanted to make my sister and new brother-in-law something special for a wedding gift.  I bookmarked every wedding craft I came across, but ultimately I decided to go with something a little more timeless.  The one thing that I kept coming back to was a monogram - but what medium to go with?  Buttons (obviously!)  I've seen lots of gorgeous button-monogrammed pillows, but I was afraid that their playful pup might get ahold of it (and bye bye wedding gift).  So instead, I came up with this framed button monogram.  Same concept, but puppy proof :)


Here's how I did it...

Step 1 - Find/make an initial of the appropriate size for your monogram.  I used Word and played with every font I own (and some new ones) to find a typeface that I liked.  Nope, I have no idea what it was because sadly, I forgot to save it :(

Step 2 - Print out initial onto paper (alternately, you could also trace an initial onto paper if you happen to have some wooden/cardboard/metal letters lying around)

Step 3 - Buy a lovely background fabric.  I used silk for this project, but anything that doesn't pucker would work beautifully.  Cut the fabric to your desired size (my finished project was 8x10) and press it well.

Step 4 - Buy lots and lots of buttons in varying sizes and styles.  Lots.

Step 5 - Carefully cut out the monogram from the paper (OR for you lucky cricuters...just cricut the monogram and save yourself a step) and pin the cut (negative) paper onto your background fabric



Step 6 - Tape your cut image to a work surface (I used a pan from the dollar store)

Step 7 - Using your cut monogram as a guide, start building your button monogram.  I layed out the complete monogram before putting needle to fabric (because I'm anal particular like that)


Step 8 - Using your pinned monogram negative, sew each button on...button by pretty little button


Step 9 - Cut your background fabric to size and frame your craft of art :)


11 comments:

karebear said...

So pretty: )

Terrell said...

This is so creative!! I love the look! I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations at my weekly link party, every Friday! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi,

I really like that idea. It looks great and I can imagine it *still* looking great in ten years time!

Thank you for a lovely tutorial.

Sarahx

Jennifer Leigh said...

I'm so glad I saw this...I need to make a wedding gift and I want to do something similar. I didn't think of buttons but I love that idea. Thanks for sharing!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Adorable! I had to share on my FB page! Great project!

Suzie said...

I did this same thing with a pillow top. I just have to find the right backing for it now. It was a fun project. Your's is so cute.
Suzie @
staycalmandsewsomething.blogspot.com

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This is a really neat idea. I like it!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I really like this idea, a lot. I just LOVE buttons and I think this is a wonderful way to personalize a special gift. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

I love it - so elegant and simple!

Unknown said...

That is really, really beautiful! Simply elegant and lovely. Thank you so much for the tutorial -- I think I'm going to make one tonight!

Hanna said...

Hi there! i am your newest follower from the weekend linky!!! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely!! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

SO CUTE

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails