Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What Ten Bucks'll Buy Ya

Happy Wednesday!!  So back when there was still snow on the ground, I bought this King size sheet set from Walmart for $9. 


Nine dollars people!  Sure, we're not talking luxury linens here, but it is a whole lotta fabric for nine bucks.  I did what anyone would do...I made a simple ruffle shower curtain and a valance for our bathroom.  I couldn't have bought a shower curtain and valance at Walmart for $9 let alone have tons of fabric left over for all sorts of random projects. 

This project could.not.be.easier.  The only thing easier is buying a ready made curtain. 

Step 1 - wrestle with your existing shower hooks and take down your current shower curtain

Step 2 - use your existing shower curtain as a template and cut out your new curtain.  I used the top of the sheet (wide edge) as the top of the shower curtain for a little extra stability.  I wanted to add a ruffle to the bottom, so measured up 4 inches to compensate for the new ruffle.  And add 1/2 inch to the non-finished side to allow for the hem.


Step 3 - Cut the ruffle piece.  Since the shower curtain used only about 3/4 of the sheet width, I just used the very bottom 3 1/2 inches (bonus, the hem is already finished)

Step 4 - Finish the cut edge.  Fold...fold...pin...sew straight line

Step 5 - Ruffle and pin.  I used a running stitch to lightly ruffle my strip.  While pinning, I pinned both ends down and worked toward the middle to keep my ruffliness even.


Step 6 - Cut and finish holes for the shower hooks.  I used my old shower curtain to mark the holes.  I didn't take a picture of this step because I intend to add grommets, but I didn't have any in my stash....so, I just poked some holes for today ;)


I love how it brightens my little bathroom right up :)

Oh, and that valance...I used one of the pillow cases and just folded over an edge for my curtain rod.  Stitched it up and called it done.





 

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Wow! I just think this is downright amazing! YOU are so talentedd! What a cute shower curtain!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails